About Sidewalk Food Vending (Compact Mobile Food Operation)
On September 23, 2022, Governor Newsom signed SB 972, a bill that modifies the California Retail Food Code and allows some sidewalk food vendors, also known as Compact Mobile Food Operation (CMFO), to obtain public health permits. The new law established a new retail food facility, among other changes, and is effective on January 1, 2023.
A CMFO is a type of mobile food facility that operates from any of the following:
- An individual, stand, showcase, rack, or display - may be exempt from permitting if offering less than 25 sq feet of prepackaged non-potentially hazardous food
- A stand, showcase, rack, display - limited to the sale of prepackaged non-potentially hazardous foods
- A pushcart, pedal-driven cart, wagon, or other nonmotorized conveyance - may be approved for limited food preparation
Please refer to the cart construction guidelines in the available resources below.
NEW: Read the bill, as approved SB 972
Apply for Permit
Frequently Asked Questions
- Private Home Storage for Compact Mobile Food Operation
- Compact Mobile Food Operations Extension of Cottage Food Operations
Current Commissaries Lists
- Mobile Food Facility Manufacturers
- Compact Mobile Food Operations Attestation Letter
- Compact Mobile Food Operations - Summary Flyer
- Compact Mobile Food Operations - Fact Sheet
- Construction Guidelines for Limited Food Preparation Cart
- Construction Guidelines for Limited Prepackaged Food Cart
- Certified Food Handler & Manager
For questions regarding the cart construction guidelines, please contact the Plan Check Program at (626) 430-5560.
- Lista de fabricantes
- Construcción de Carrito
- Comprando Carrito Hecho de un Plan Estándar
- Comprando carrito CMFO con permiso previo
Almacenamiento de carritos
- Puestos Compactos de Comida Ambulante Requisitos de Almacenamiento en el Hogar
- Puestos Compactos de Comida Ambulante Extensión de las Operacionses de Comida Casera
Listas Actuales de Comisarios
- Comisarías para Trocas de Comida
- Comisarías para Carritos/Trocas de Helados
- Comisarías para Carritos de Alimentos
Senate Bill 972- Vendor Webinar (SPANISH) - April 2023
To read the new law, please visit SB-972 California Retail Food Code.
Connect with Us
If you would like to receive updates about Sidewalk food vending, please press our subscribe button.