Lead Paint

Lead is a metal that was commonly used to make paint up until 1978. Lead is a poison that is dangerous to you and your family. It can harm a child’s brain and cause learning and behavior problems. It can even harm unborn babies. Any house or apartment built before 1978 could have lead paint. Houses and apartments built before 1960 have the most lead paint. Common household repairs (like painting or fixing a door that sticks to the doorframe) can produce lead dust or paint chips. This dust and paint chips can contain lead. This allows lead particles to get into the air and onto the floor or ground outside. It takes only a very small amount of lead to poison someone.

Prevent Exposure to Lead-Based Paint

Lead paint in good condition usually is not a problem, but dangerous lead dust can be released from peeling or damaged paint, or by sanding paint in older homes. When working on or remodeling a home with lead paint there are important safety tips you need to follow. Lead can affect children’s brains and create lifelong learning and behavioral problems. Babies and small children are at the highest risk because they play on the floor and often put their hands and toys in their mouths.

Follow the links below to find out more about preventing lead poisoning or call 1-800-LA-4-LEAD for more information.

For more information on preparing for renovations for your home: Renovate Right (English) | Remodelar Correctamente (Español)

What to Do If You Have Lead-Based Paint Where You Live

If your home or apartment was built before 1978, you may have lead-based paint. The paint may be on the inside or outside of the building. Chipping or peeling paint is a danger. It is important to protect children and pregnant women from coming into contact with peeling paint and dust.

Find tips for keeping kids safe from lead in English and Español

For more information on how to safely remove peeling paint and clean up lead dust, visit our Lead Program website or call 800-LA-4-LEAD